Thursday, November 17, 2016

A Letter To The Open Letter Writers Because This Needs To Be The Last One

A Letter To The People Who Are Always Writing Open Letters To Girls With Certain, Specific Personalities Or Issues on Facebook: May I ask why exactly this is such a trend? For some reason it irks me. I can't explain exactly why, but when I see these articles titled "An Open Letter To..." I roll my eyes approximately 42 times. 

(Yeah, yeah, this post is doing the same thing but that's called irony and I did it intentionally!)

Perhaps it's because the articles come across as a cry for attention, are full of cliches, and are completely lacking in real substance? Yeah that's it.

Oh, hey there Linda. I see you just shared "An Open Letter To The Girl Who Loves With Her Heart and Not Her Head." Nice to know you're just like every other person your age in the entire country.
I know these letters are usually meant to be uplifting, with a "You're not alone! You'll get through this rough patch!" message, but the specificity of some of the titles is outrageous, and the content seems to all be taken from the same generic "Open Letter" handbook.


"A Letter To The Girl Who Feels Anxious About Mispronouncing The Italian Menu Items at Olive Garden:"Hang in there. Your social anxiety doesn't define you! "To The Girl Still Healing From A Broken Heart:" We are in this together, and someday you'll look back and realize your struggles made you a stronger person.
Or on a similar note,
"A Letter To The Guy Who Loves An Independent Girl""To The Guy Who Will Marry My Best Friend""An Open Letter To The Boy About To Fall For The Reckless Girl"

Excuse me while I go vomit.

Here's the thing guys. I think I'm a closed letter kinda gal. Please take your cliche filled letters addressed to vague strangers, put a stamp on them and mail them to someone you know who is actually a "girl with a reckless heart." (What does that even MEAN?!)

I'm an article kinda gal too. But perhaps an article--void of cliches!--that talks about the intricacies of balancing friendships with romantic relationships, or one that explores the real emotional and psychological struggles of moving on after a breakup would be a little more substantive and worthwhile than all these generalized letters shouted into the void.

Then again, those cliched articles get shared a billion times each day, while my random rants and reviews sit quietly while gathering web-dust. I don't care though. I'm still going to roll my eyes at your open letters, and never write one myself again.

No comments:

Post a Comment