Thursday, November 10, 2016

Adapting the Pioneer Woman to the Gluten Free Lifestyle

The other day I saw a satirical article on Facebook that was titled, "Gluten Free Pancake Mix is Just a Bag of Sand". I laughed out loud. A few people who know me pointed the article out to me and I laughed again. Thanks, friends for making fun of my very serious medical condition that prohibits me from eating the joys of gluten. Indeed, there are many gluten free food items I have tried that seem to be made of either sand, or drywall that's been sitting in the rain for a few days.

But I must defend my gluten free life a bit, because I am definitely not starving, and I've learned to adapt some recipes to make DURN GOOD FOOD.

So let me tell you something: the Pioneer Woman is my spirit animal. Let me tell you something else: her recipes almost always turn out great when adapted to gluten free ingredients! She loves butter and cream as much as I do, and ain't afraid of no bacon. That's the secret here. I have a theory that if you add enough butter to any gluten free recipe, or fry the gluten free thing, it will be edible.

*So if you're thinking about willingly switching to a gluten free diet for health reasons, you're going to be very disappointed. The only way to make what is gluten free sand taste good is by adding a million more calories. Also, all of you who eat gluten free for the fun of it/ because it's trendy need to STOP. For the love of God, eat some bread.* 

I have proven this theory many a time, most often with Pioneer Woman recipes. Here, I will share with you my experimental results for one recipe, which have indeed been repeated. And  I remember something from science about experiments needing to be repeated to be proven????

Disclaimer: I don't have any pictures because I got too excited and ate it all before I remembered to capture it.

Spicy Fried Chicken Sandwiches

It's chicken dipped in buttermilk then dredged in a flour, salt, peppar, cayenne, brown sugar mixture, then dipped again in buttermilk and then FRIED IN GREASY GOODNESS.

Then you mix some spicy hot sauce with some mayo and slather it on a delicious bun or bread of your choice.

Next chop some red cabbage and add some bread and butter pickle juice, jalapenos, parsely, salt and pepper.

On your slathered bun, add some pickles, then place the recently fried chicken. Here's the secret deliciousness: drizzle just a bit of honey on the chicken! DO IT NOW--don's skip this step. Then pile some cabbage on it! Top the bun and EAT IT.

It's delish, I promise. And it's easy to make gluten free if you use gluten free flour!

Also delicious and fried and from The Pioneer Woman: Pan Fried Pork Chops

Also delicious, not fried, and naturally gluten free by The Pioneer Woman: Simple, Perfect Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment